Thursday, July 31, 2008

One More Week (wait, what?..........ALREADY?!)


This week, we have really jumped into repairing equipment very efficiently. Whereas at the beginning of the four weeks, it seemed as though we would end each day with more work to do machines than when we started, now we are pulling up projects that have been left on the back burners. We fixed the collimator on a fixed X-ray machine early in the week and I’ve gotten a good deal more practice with the arc welder (see large metal fence). The arc welder actually reminds me a great deal of the electrosurgery units in the way it works. Anyone know which came first or if one inspired the other?
We are learning and coming up with many new clever tricks also for fixing devices or finding alternatives. For example, the stethoscope below has a new diaphragm cut out of an old x-ray plaque. It is held to the bell with an elastic gasket made from medical tubing, placed in a circle, fused, and sliced along its interior edge. How cool!
Finally, I got my supplementary application for UNC on Friday (yaaaay) so I’m scribbling away on the essay and trying to figure out how I am going to submit it…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A.J., I have no doubt that you are going to get into UNC. If you write your essay as well as you write your blog, you are IN!!!