Monday, July 14, 2008

Managua, Nicaragua

I made it to Managua, Nicaragua bright and early Saturday morning just in time to... do nothing for the rest of the day. The pace of life is much slower here for some. For others, like Octavio my host brother, life demands near 12 hours of work per week day, a day of English and Technical training on Saturdays and work meetings on Sundays. I don´t envy him.

Our house is located in a small neighborhood called Linda Vista Norte right behind a somewhat famous bakery, La Reposteria Norma (yes, that was my address). My roomate Kathleen and I share the house with Octavio (26 years old) and his mother. The two of them seem to really enjoy having us around as they kindly gave us a tour of Managua and took us to a nice lunch at a typical Nicaraguan restaurant.

We have two dogs at hour house: old docile Canela (cinnamon) and the excitable Laisha (after actress Laisha Wilkins PĂ©rez). While I´ll miss having children in the house, working at the children´s hospital should make up for it. An introduction to the hospital and more pictures to come...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you made it safely and have moved in - not too luxurious but I'm sure it will do. Reminds me of my (shared) bedroom growing up in Miami. How about some voice over on those videos?
Have you seen an e-mail from Duke about $$ for this semester? You should have it twice at least by now and you have to accept it.
I'm looking forward to hearing about your work in the hospital.
Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

yeah, well, at least he only had to share a room with 1 other sibling...lol
Glad you made it safely, hope you manage to have some fun and not work too hard. Can't wait to hear about the hospital.
Love you